Saturday 30 March 2013

Blogger's block

Today my friends I have a little case of blogger's block. I've been doing my supermarket-free challenge for three months now, and posting every day, with the exception of four days when I went on holiday. I've talked about farm shops, vegetarianism, horse meat and loo roll. So have I finally now run out of steam?

I'd like to think not. When it comes to shopping local I'd like to think I'm only at the tip of the iceberg. But the problem is that this week I've not really been home much, so I've not really been shopping much, so I've not got a hell of a lot to report. I have of course bought a couple of lovely supermarket-free Easter eggs, but naturally I'm not unveiling those on the blog before tomorrow!

I've also got some amazing cakes from a Chinese cake shop to tell you about, but I've not eaten them yet, and as we all know the proof is in the pudding, so if I blog about that now it'll be a story half told.

The thing is, we're pretty much rattling along quite happily at the moment. We're in our supermarket-free routine, we've fallen into habits with favourite local shops, and we're happy.

So perhaps that in itself is something to say. Because people still keep asking me how we're managing, and telling me there's now way they'd be able to cope without going to Tesco or Morrisons. But we are more than coping - we're enjoying it. We're a quarter of the way into my year without supermarkets and I still can't imagine going back. So put that in your pipe and smoke it!

I do have one little thing to report though - the supermarket-free ethos is slowly spreading. I was out with some friends last night and my pal Rich was keen to tell me how he's been avoiding the supermarkets and trying to shop local instead.

Now this is a man who loves his food and loves to cook, but with a Tesco just round the corner from his house he does generally buy groceries from the supermarket. However, since reading my blog he's been going to Sheffield wholefood store Beanies and also shopping at his local butcher.

Rich raises a glass to local shopping
"So what's the food been like then?" I asked him.

"Oh so much better," he replied. "The meat especially tastes so much nicer from the butcher, and it's a decent price too."

"That's great," I told him. "So does that mean you're not going to Tesco anymore?"

"Er, well, no," he laughed. "I'm still at the supermarket about twice a week!"

Oh well, you win some, you lose some. At least Rich is making an effort, and local businesses like his butcher are benefiting as a result. Well done Rich!



No comments:

Post a Comment