Monday 18 February 2013

A little round-up

Hello hello everyone, right I'm going to mix things up a bit today and do this post a bit differently. I've had a lot of people asking me for updates on the various things I've written about over the last seven weeks, so this is going to be a bit of a news update for those who are interested....

AM I SAVING ANY MONEY ON FUEL?
You may remember that I used to religiously fill up my car at either Tesco or Morrisons before starting this challenge, at which point I switched to my local Texaco filling station in the neighbourhood where I live. I wrote a blog post on this after Carol, the manager, explained that she believed Texaco fuel was better of quality than that offered by the supermarkets, with different additives, and that despite being more expensive I should get more miles to the gallon with it.

So was she right?

Well my calculations are very very rough because I hadn't clocked my car's supermarket mileage before starting the challenge. But I know roughly how far my tank used to get me in terms of regular journeys, and I do believe that the Texaco petrol is giving me an extra day's commute. That really is a very vague estimate though. But it certainly feels like it's getting me further.

However, to further fuel this debate (god I just love a good pun don't I?!), I had an email from my friend Annette last week, who has very kindly run the test that I currently cannot - she clocked her car on supermarket fuel, and again with diesel from her local BP garage. The findings were stark - she got 14p per mile with her BP fuel and 18p per mile with her supermarket fuel, having put £30 into her car at each filling station.


HOW ARE MY ONION SEEDLINGS?
Mostly dead, sadly. Shortly after starting this challenge I blogged about my green-fingered ambitions to try growing my own this year, despite being an utterly hopeless gardener, and enthusiastically planted a tray of white onion seeds and a couple of pots of parsley.

Unfortunately the onions haven't done well. Just four little seedlings crept up our of the compost, before keeling over and dying. My random little unknown seedling, mentioned in a subsequent post is still going strong though and the parsley seeds have also sprouted, although they are looking a bit stringy.

My gardening ambitions remain undeminished, although I am less hopefully of success!

IS NEIL PLAYING BALL?
Yes! He's been very cheerful about all the nice meat and cheese we've been getting, and he's been happily handing over our housekeeping money for me to take care of and trailing me around various farm shops at the weekends. He also even voluntarily went into Sheffield's Castle Market by himself, on his lunchbreak, the other day rather than going to the supermarket convenience store near his office.

He's routinely bringing home Molly milk instead of supermarket milk. He's also acting as my technical support guru when I lose patience with Twitter and other forms of social networking.

Unfortunately he has done a couple of little clandestine supermarket trips when he's fancied a particular something that either hasn't been in the house, or I haven't been able to buy - such as the cured meat he wanted for the top of a pizza. So he's a work in progress...!


DOES MY MUM LIKE TOFU?
Yes she does! Particularly the basil-flavoured one I bought for her.

AND FINALLY, WHAT HAVE I DONE WITH THE COMPOSTABLE LOO ROLL WRAPPING?
Why, I've composted it of course! Two weeks ago I blogged about finding environmentally-friendly Eco Leaf toilet tissue, which even came in compostable packaging. So below is a piccie of it on my compost heap.

No comments:

Post a Comment