Monday 7 January 2013

Funny onions


Anyone reading this who either knows me, or takes the Derby Telegraph, will know that I am crap with plants.

Great with animals. But utterly crap with plants.

I can nurture any animal well past what would be considered its normal sell-by-date. Creatures in my care really do enjoy "a good innings" before going off to the big stable/kennel/fish bowl in the sky.

But I'm terrible with plants; I garden and I garden and nothing grows. Or it tries to grow and then withers and dies. Or it looks promising and then gets eaten by snails. I bought a house with a big-ish garden at the end of 2011 and spent the whole of last year cultivating it, only to harvest a grand total of three very small onions, five spuds and a couple of mint leaves. It was nothing short of pathetic. I can't even grown herbs on my windowsill. Seedlings fail to sprout and shop-bought plants take on a suicidal brown tinge within hours of entering the house.

However, in my drive to avoid Tesco and Morrisons I really do need become more successful in growing my own, so as well as being My Year Without Supermarkets I also want 2013 to be the year when I finally turn my fingers green.

I began sewing the seeds this morning - literally. Although it's technically mid-winter, my month-by-month (supposedly idiot-proof) gardening guidebook suggests that onion seeds can be planted in January. And it hints that herbs can pretty much flourish all year on a warm windowsill. So I've sown a small tray of white onion and a couple of pots of parsley.

For those who've never tried growing anything from seed, its a fiddly business and it mucks up your nails. Or rather - you get muck under your nails. As I understand it (and hey, chances are I'm doing this completely wrong) you fill a tray with compost, pretty much spreading a crumble of the brown stuff all over your work surface and yourself into the bargain, water it until it looks like a mud pie and starts leaking out from the bottom of the tray - at which point you start swearing as you remember that you ought to have sat it on top of something first - sprinkle your seeds as evenly spaced out as you can (or can't!), add a thin layer of compost over the top and then "mist" with one of those fine sprays.

So that's what I've done and I did get a momentary feeling of satisfaction when I settled my newly-planted tray onto the top of a Tesco carrier bag on the windowsill in the utility room. I can feel the promise of new life positively radiating from that little tray, so please send some karmic good wishes to my onion seeds, or say a little prayer for them if you're of religious persuasion. They are going to need all the help they can get in my care....






4 comments:

  1. Don't feel discouraged by your garden failures last year. I think most gardeners found it a pretty bad year for fruit and veg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Jill about last year's growing. Your cropping sounds much the same as my allotment.

    And (not wishing to be negative, but...) I wish you well with the parsley. It's reckoned to be one of more difficult herbs to germinate from seed.

    Persevere and stick with whatever grows best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sowing onions from sets is much easier then from seed. Bit early to put the sets in yet but well worth a try.

    Parsley will be fine, the old gardeners tale is it goes down to see the devil and back 7 times before germinating

    Other very easy seeds to try, lettuce, spring onions, radish, beetroot, courgettes, pumpkins, carrots, runner beans, green beans. Too cold right now but wait til March/April

    ReplyDelete

  4. Thank you all, and I will indeed try some of your suggestions Isla. I hope you're right about the parsley, it's starting to sprout now but looks a bit thin at the moment. I'll post some pictures soon....

    ReplyDelete