Friday 18 January 2013

In the market for romance

It’s amazing what you can find at a farmers’ market – cheese, meat, pies, vegetables and bread – and yesterday I even stumbled across a little bit of romance.

I was out on my lunchtime walk with a shopping list of lasagne ingredients and I ended up at the monthly Derby Farmers Market.


Derby Farmers' Market
It was a smaller affair than usual, no doubt due to the time of year and freezing weather, but there were still a few stallholders out braving the cold in impressive layers of rustic knits and fingerless gloves. 

I immediately got chatting to Mary Button, from The Really Good Cheese Company, who was really excited to hear about My Year Without Supermarkets and offered some lovely words of encouragement.

I asked her where her business was based and she nodded to the man selling pork products at the next stall along.

“With him!” she said.

It turns out Mary and the sausage seller Ashley Hedges are an item and they live together at Smith Hall farm in Hulland Ward, in Derbyshire, where they rear pigs and also have an organic field kitchen. 

“Please tell me you met at a farmers’ market?” I asked.

“We did!” she laughed. “We met here actually, at Derby Farmers’ Market, three years ago.”

And is it all romance down on the farm?

“Oh yes, very romantic,” she quipped. “Getting up at 5am to feed the pigs together!”

I bought cheddar from Mary and some organic pork and leek sausages from Ashley, who had been up since 4am to do his chores on the farm before heading down to Derby for the market. It's inspiring how much effort these farmers put into getting their produce out there and I really do think we, as consumers, should support them rather than just flocking to Tesco.

With the promise of a visit out to the farm in the spring to see the organic pigs, I moved onto another brilliant stall selling Lincolnshire Poacher Cheese.

The stallholder frankly looked freezing, but he still managed to muster enthusiasm as I told him about my challenge. I needed a block of Parmasan, which he hadn't got, but instead he gave me a taste of the next best thing - a strong cheese that his wife uses on her lasagne. When did you last have an interaction like that in a supermarket?

I finished my little shopping trip with a visit to Jack Rabbits, a brilliant cafe/deli/food store in Queen Street that offers loads of different cheeses, pickles, locally-produced jams, artisan breads, a few veggies, eggs and other bits besides.

I bought mozzarella and butter, which Julie, one of the owners, described as "really creamy", but unfortunately they didn't have any creme freiche. I was really impressed by how helpful the staff were though. After checking that there wasn't any left in the shop next door, I was told that a delivery was expected and I could ring the shop at any time and they would happily set something aside or order something or me.

Fast forward to this lunchtime and I took them up on the offer, and telephoned to see if the ellusive CF had arrived (lazy I know but it's a 20 minute walk from my office and it's snowing!). Julie called me back to say that it had so I've just been to collect it, and bought some nice sourdough bread in case we really do get hit by snowmageddon this weekend and I can't get out. It's panic buying non-supermarket-stylee!


Produce from the farmers' market
It’s the little interactions like this that make avoiding the supermarkets so worthwhile and enjoyable. I'm now back in the office with a very cold nose, but filled with warmth thanks to all the lovely people I’ve met. Forget 2013 - this challenge is good for the soul. It may be a resolution for life!

No comments:

Post a Comment