Tuesday 9 April 2013

Amazing bread closer to home

Now I've banged on about the wonderful Baked artisan bakery in Derby a number of times on this blog, and I most definitely still love them. Tony and Victoria make some of the nicest bread I've ever tasted and the world's best chocolate brownies.

But I've struggled to get to the bakery for the past few weeks because I've not been able to get a lunchbreak thanks to the big trial we've been covering for the newspaper. And of course I live 30 miles away in Chesterfield so if I'm not super organised then I end up bread-less.

So the time has come to start looking for better bread closer to home. All the bakeries I've discovered so far in Chez-Vegas are the traditional northern kind that churn out giant stodgy baps and sliced loaves. But this week I've finally found something much tastier and healthier at Meringue bakery and cafe on Chatsworth Road.

The selection of freshly-made artisan bread in the place is quite frankly mouthwatering. They offer loaves, rolls, sourdough rustics and ciabatta, and it's all baked on site by husband and wife team Neil and Susan Chatterton.

Meringue isn't exactly on my doorstep, but I can swing by on my way to the stables without too much effort and there are parking bays outside.

When I visited to pick up some rolls and a loaf I walked away with bread that was still warm from the oven. 

The amazing selection at Meringue on Monday
So it seems the drive for better bread is slowly catching on. We, as Brits, are traditionally quite crap with bread. We eat poor quality, highly-refined breads that leave us bloated, lacking in energy, and gaining weight. Whereas quality bread made from good flour is actually incredibly healthy, high in fibre and energy. Look at the French - they love their bread and you don't see anywhere near as many fat folk on the continent.

So does this mean I'm forsaking my friends at Baked in Derby, now I've found a bakery closer to home? Will it be baguettes at 20 paces as I try to decide which bakery I prefer?

The answer to that is, of course not! As far as I'm concerned, the more people we have in this world dedicated to baking genuinely delicious bread, the better. And now I have access to great bread during my normal working week, when I'm mostly in Derby, and at home at the weekends. Plus there's no way I'd ever quit Baked while ever Victoria is still making her brownies!








No comments:

Post a Comment