Friday 23 August 2013

Local shops are not twin-friendly

I’m cheating slight today (which clearly I never normally do!) by using a comment from my lovely pal and newly-yummy-twin-mummy Christina as the basis for this post.

She told me the other day that she was hoping to do a little bit more local shopping, as she is currently on maternity leave, but that as it turns out, she’s finding that the supermarkets are simply better equipped to help her in managing the shopping and the babies at once.

Christina writes: “I was hoping to make this more of a way of life now I am on maternity leave and have time in the day to shop about. In fact, every day I take the pram for a stroll into the village, so it's now very easy for me to buy veg, birthday cards, bread and so on from the village shops... or it should be.

“Unfortunately, EVERY shop in my village has two, steep stone steps leading up to its entrance. No way can I get a double buggy up there, and nor could anyone get a wheelchair up there.

“The only shop in my village to have installed a ramp is the Sainsbury's Local - would love to hear what local shopkeepers have to say about accessibility. I understand there's a short term cost, but there's a host of wheelchair users and pram-pushers out there who can't shop local.”

She also sent me this lovely picture of the twins, Amelie and Rosa, enjoying a snooze in the double trolly chair kindly provided by those bods at Asda.

Christina makes a very good point. Most of the local shops that I go to, although not having steps, are very cramped and sometimes in can be hard to move around with a basket without bumping into other customers – never mind a pushchair or wheelchair.

When it comes to accessibility, perhaps supermarkets here again have the edge – alongside convenience – as factors that the local shops are struggling to match.


No comments:

Post a Comment