Tuesday 6 August 2013

What's wrong with cauliflower?

What's wrong with cauliflower?

Apparently sales of this traditional British vegetable have fallen by 35% over the past decade, and last year around half of all UK households didn't buy a single cauli - prompting some growers to stop producing them.

I know loads of people who don't like cauliflower. I wonder if it partly harks back to childhood memories of mushy, rank-tasting vegetables boiled to within an inch of their lives by some well-meaning granny.

But no vegetable is going to taste great when it's been overcooked.

Personally I love cauli. It's great just lightly steamed, and one of my favourite things in the world is good, homemade cauliflower cheese. Anything smothered with cheese sauce is okay with me.
Cauliflower baked with lemon

But it's much more versatile than that. The Indian dish aloo gobi is another brilliant example of tasty cauli cooked really well.

And I even like to put it in salad. Yesterday I bought a cauliflower, grown locally in Melbourne, South Derbyshire, at artisan food store Brown and Green, in Little Eaton. 

I chopped it up, covered it with extra virgin olive oil, parsley and a good squeeze of lemon, and baked it for about 40 minutes.

Allowed to cool, cauli baked in lemon is a really tasty addition to the salad I've made for my lunch at work today.

So don't overlook the humble British cauli!




No comments:

Post a Comment