Sunday 9 June 2013

Finally I break a rule!

There's something very very wrong with my body this morning. For a start, it feels like a heard of elephants are dancing to Madness in my head. My stomach is churning like a tumble dryer, my legs are wobbly, and I've got one inexplicably bruised and swollen foot.

I blame all this on my boss and his free bar last night. Celebrating his wedding anniversary with my colleagues soon turned to raucous and roaring drunkenness.

My memory of the latter part of the evening is hazy, but blips of clarity include insisting that all the boys I work with drink about half a dozen neat Jamesons (forgetting of course that because I'm a girl and can't hold my drink I will always come off worse in the equation, which probably now accounts for the splitting head) and taking my shoes off on the dance floor, making all the boys take their shoes off too, laughing at their socks and then bouncing around to Guns'n'Roses (which presumably accounts for the bruised foot as one of them clearly jumped on me).

I stayed at Lovely Anna's last night and managed to lock myself out of her house, so she found me whimpering on her doorstep at about 1am.

And of course I'm working this afternoon so I've now got to pull myself together enough to go and sort out tomorrow's newspaper.

Anna and I were meant to be going out for breakfast this morning, but when I shuffled out of my bedroom moaning at about 11am she took one look at me and realised that was cancelled.

"Right," she said. "I'm bringing breakfast to you. I'm going to the shop."

"Which shop?" I asked.

"Aldi"

"Oh."

Aldi is of course a supermarket. But Anna assured me that she was going to go today anyway, and of course I cannot insist that my friends only feed me non-supermarket food.

But then I broke one of my rules. The rule that states that I must not ask anyone to get anything from a supermarket on my behalf.

"Do you want anything fetching?" Asked Anna.

"No. No definitely not," I replied. "Actually yes I do. I need Alka Seltzer. And Berocca."

And I handed over a tenner.

So there we go. Nearly six months into the challenge and for the first time a rule has been broken. Not a massive rule, but a rule non the less. I'm sitting (well half-lying) on Anna's sofa now, drinking my Berocca (although somehow I don't think it's going to be me but on a really good day), feeling slightly ashamed but too poorly to give it much more thought. I blame my boss!

No comments:

Post a Comment