Friday 14 June 2013

Sausages!

The supermarkets have scored a juicy goal with their own brand sausages, according to latest reports.

A study by consumer group Which? has found that some of the cheapest own-brand bangers offer the same meat content as some of their pricier, branded competitors.

It said that customers are better off buying an 80p pack of Sainsbury's Basics pork sausages than a £2.40 pack of Richmond sausages because both offer the same 42% meat content.

And Sainsbury's premium pork sausages, at £2.99, are only 59p more expensive than Richmond but contain twice as much meat at 97%.

Clearly as a vegatarian I haven't got a clue what a 42% or 97% meat sausage tastes like anyway (insert innuendo here).

But I do know that several of my butcher friends (yes I have made butcher friends since bringing the supermarket ban in because I still buy meat for others) would scoff at those percentages and tell me that the sausages they sell are 100% meat and handmade in their shops.

Still reckon it's better to shop local - who the hell wants to eat a pork sausage that is made up of 58% "other" ingredients anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment