Wednesday 19 June 2013

Say please!

“What do you say?” the short, brunette, feisty middle-aged lady behind the counter asks pertly, giving her hairnet-encased head a slight twitch of irritation.

“Eh?” The youth at the other side of the counter is almost double her height, and certainly double her weight, but he’s immediately taken on the air of a naughty and bashful schoolboy.

“You say please,” she tells him. “You mind your manners or you won’t be getting anything.”

I’m at one my favourite lunch stops in Derby’s Eagle Market, Morgan and Sons Sandwich Bar and Deli, and I can’t help laughing as the lad just ahead of me in the queue shuffles his feet and apologises for his rudeness.

I give him a conciliatory smile as I step forward to order my own food.

“I’ll have a salad PLEASE,” I tell the lady behind the counter.

“See...?” she turns to the youth. “Some people still have nice manners. What can I get for you love?”

One of the reasons I like this salad bar is that you get to pick exactly what you want from a massive range of choices, including potato and pasta salad, couscous and cottage cheese. You can even choose between two different types of tomatoes and whether you could like your beetroot diced or sliced (I like mine sliced).

It’s kind of like the supermarket-free equivalent of the Morrisons salad bar, which I used to love. And I wouldn’t mind betting it’s a lot more hygienic as the feisty lady behind the counter dishes out the salad, rather than hundreds of shoppers digging into it.



My polite lunchtime salad

No comments:

Post a Comment