Monday 27 May 2013

Bank holiday muffins - thanks to Asda

"OOOOOOOOOH THAT'S CHEATING!!!!"

So went the chorus of indignation from my ever-supportive colleagues as I dug into the chocolate muffins on newsdesk.

Asda muffins
You see, while the rest of the country is enjoying a bank holiday, and my friends who run my favourite local shops are enjoying a well-earned rest, I've come into work this afternoon because the Derby Telegraph prints every day.

And I arrived to find that colleague Whaddy had brought a couple of boxes of Asda chocolate muffins in to keep the bank holiday shifters going.

Now according to the rules of this challenge, written in January, I am not allowed to send someone into a supermarket to make a purchase on my behalf. But I am allowed to eat supermarket-bought food as long as I have not requested it. So by definition, tucking into Whaddy's muffins (which I had no part in buying) is fine, and not a breach of My Year Without Supermarkets.

But try telling that to my work mates.

"CHEAT, CHEAT, CHEAT" they bellowed as I plumped for double chocolate.

But shopping on bank holidays is tough if you're trying to avoid the supermarkets. I stayed at Lovely Anna's last night and we went out for a great breakfast this morning. But then we had to scour Derby town centre to find some food for me to bring into work to keep me going on my late shift.

Of course there are plenty of small supermarket branches - a Sainsbury's Local and a Tesco Express. And of course they were open today. But my usual favourites, such as Sound Bites wholefood shop and the market place, were closed.

I ended up grabbing a Lynda McCartney Lasagne from Holland and Barrett to go in the office microwave, and a sarnie from Boots to keep me going in the meantime. Back to the old issue of convenience again....










 


No comments:

Post a Comment