Wednesday 29 May 2013

Understanding Banana Bob

“Buenos Dias Jade, pay me next week no problem (I’ll just stop in this weekend and eat bread & dripping!!) and have a nice day.”

That was the reply from my super hero greengrocer Banana Bob when I emailed him this morning to tell him that I’d forgotten to leave any cash out for him today.

I’ve written about Bob several times before. I’ve never actually met him, but I have lovely visions of him swooping into my street like Banana Man, blue and yellow cape billowing out behind him.

Or driving up to my house in a giant canary-yellow banana-mobile.

In reality the poor guy is merely a greengrocer with a brilliant name and good sense of humour, as the above note proves. And I’m sure he probably arrives at my house in a perfectly-normal looking delivery van.

The reason I’ve never seen him is that I’m always at work when he arrives, so we have this lovely arrangement where I leave out the old crate and £12 by my back door, and in return he delivers a new box full of fresh organic fruit and veg.

Oh, and I've previously done a price comparrison and found him to be about a fiver cheaper than a like-for-like shop at Tesco.

But thanks to the bank holiday I got my dates mixed up and forgot to leave the box and cash out for him this morning, so I had to send him an apologetic email explaining what I’d done.

And of course this is another reason why shopping local is so brilliant. How many times have you sent an IOU note to a supermarket?

No comments:

Post a Comment