Friday 17 May 2013

More capering at the markets

"I was the baby under the counter. I have been in this building every day of my life."

Those were the words of florist and greengrocer Lorna Margett, who gestured emphatically towards the roof of Derby’s Market Hall as she made her point.

Earlier this week I wrote about how myself and photographer friend Ian 'The Hodge' Hodgkinson had fun in Derby's markets for this week's Food You Can Trust piece.

We got more than we bargained for in the form of a few saucy comments, but here's the clean version of events, that went into today's paper.

Lorna runs two stalls in the Market Hall – Mr Fruity and Flowers by Joy – as well as offering a veg box delivery service within the city. Since meeting her Hodge has already signed up to the scheme and had his first veggie box delivered to his home last night.

Above her stall hangs a sign announcing to visitors that she is "proud to support local farmers".

Lorna said: "The Market Hall was opened in 1860 and the Margetts, my ancestors, have had a fruit and veg stall here ever since.

"My parents worked in here, my mum continued during her pregnancy and when I was born she literally brought me into work and popped me under the counter."

I asked Lorna what was so special about shopping at the market.

"It’s just so personal," she said. "You get a better service because we have time to speak to our customers. I get my produce from a small independent farmer in Melbourne so I can tell you where everything has come from.

"It’s also a hell of a lot better value too."

Her views were echoed by watchmaker Linda Aston, of The Mecca, who has also been working in the Market Hall all her life alongside her family.

Linda’s 88-year-old father Michael Doyle still comes into the market every day to work on the family’s stall.

"What you get when you shop in the market is the personal touch," she said. "The traders have all got an excellent knowledge of their produce and can sell you exactly what you want.

"There are things like gluten-free sausages for those with allergies, and if you’re on a budget or you’re a student then you can buy just one sausage or one potato – not like in the supermarket where they’re all bagged up by weight or into packs of six."

Linda’s fondness for the market was touching and the other stallholders clearly had a soft spot for her too.

"There’s a fantastic community spirit in here," she said. "It’s like a little village. All the stallholders know each other and well all know what the others sell. We all help each other and we help our customers by pointing them in the right direction of the stall that can sell them exactly what they want."

For more go to our website. 


Today's Food You Can Trust feature

No comments:

Post a Comment