Friday 31 May 2013

Take a butchers at National Barbecue Week


So what's a veggie doing talking about National Barbecue Week?

Well I do still love a barbecue. Loads of Lynda McCartnery sausages and halloumi, usually with best mates 'The Chrises', sat on deckchairs in Christine's back garden.

But of course, for this week's Food You Can Trust feature in the Derby Telegraph, I had to head out and chat to some butchers.

And naughty photographer Alex couldn't resist the opportunity to try to persuade me to get my hands dirty chopping some raw meat at Chellaston Butchers. Luckily butcher Scott Rodgers came to my rescue and dug out some red peppers for me to pose with instead, and the pics never made the paper anyway.

Scott was lovely, talking about how he knows where all his meat comes from, and I also met some of his happy customers who were keen to sing his praises and talk about the importance of supporting your local butcher.

One lady even told me that supermarket meat makes her husband ill because he has Crohn's disease and the supermarkets tend to stuff their sausages will filler like pasta, so she always shops at the butchers because she can trust what she is buying.

Full story from today's paper here



No comments:

Post a Comment