Thursday 11 July 2013

Supermarket water saves the day

“If I’m putting water into my car, and it’s disappearing fast, and it smells like burning, that’s bad isn’t it?”

That was the first question I put to my long-suffering boss/occasional surrogate father (and Derby Telegraph editor) Neil White this morning.

“Yes that’s bad,” he said. “What do you mean?”

I explained that I’d noticed last night that there was no water in my car’s water tank. Not the windscreen wipers - the actual important running-of-the-car tank, so had topped it up.

But then this morning, after doing the 30-mile motorway drive to work, I checked in the office car park and noticed it had all gone again. And there was some smoke (just a teeny bit) coming from the bonnet. And a burning smell. Now I don’t know much about cars but I do know that a burning smell is never good.

“Could be your radiator,” advised Neil. “Best not drive it home. Phone the AA.”

But instead of the AA, I decided instead to call my mechanic, a lovely chap who tends to do most of my little jobs (tyre pressure, bulbs, wipers etc) for free and is fondly known as Sausage Andy after a recent request to bring him some lorne sausage from my trip to Edinburgh. Which I actually ended up failing to do. Which hopefully he won’t hold against me now, in my hour of need.

“Hmmmm, doesn’t found great,” agreed Sausage Andy. “Sounds like a leak in your radiator. Hopefully it’s not your head gasket.”

“What’s a head gasket,” I asked. “Is that bad?”

“It wouldn’t be good. Bring it round in the morning and we’ll take a look.”

So poor old Austin (yes my car is named after Austin Powers) has got to go and see Sausage Andy first thing tomorrow, and I could be looking at a medical bill in addition to the moving costs this month.

And on Sausage Andy’s advice I’m going to have a go at driving it home later, with regular stops to top up the water. Apparently, as long as I keep topping it up, I should be fine.

So here comes the supermarket link.... I need to make sure I’ve got a big bottle of water in the car later, and I’ve been so busy at work today I’ve not been able to take a break, so I had to ask a colleague to pick some up for me, and this is what she came back with....

Sainsbury’s basics still table water, which cost a whopping 17p.

I’m hanging my head in shame as I type, but hopefully it’ll stop Austin exploding half way up the M1 in a couple of hours.



No comments:

Post a Comment