Thursday 4 July 2013

Sweets for my sweets

There's a sure way to make yourself popular in the Derby Telegraph newsroom, and that's to arrive with gifts of food. It's a strategy often adopted by the more creative and ambitious work experience students (which often secures them a return placement - who says we're fickle), and every member of staff returning from holiday brings a little something back with them to cheer up the troops.

Mallorcan Haribo stand
Nothing gets the newsroom fizzing better than a massive sugar-rush, so sweeties are a firm favourite.

So when I stumbled across this massive Haribo stand on the way down to the beach in Mallorca, Derby's enterprising bunch of journos immediately sprung to mind. 

In a very thinly disgusted and vain attempt to make myself popular (which can surely only last until I have to tell somebody what to do) I bought a whopping two kilos of the stuff from the amazed Spanish stallholder, who I think by the end of our stilted conversation was probably under the impression that I work with a bunch of bulimics. 

"Si senora, mi colleagues es muy muy greedy...."

And the extra weight in my suitcase raised a few eyebrows at the check-in desk at Palma airport too.

So this is what 2kg of Haribo looks like, and seeing as I'm on the late shift I reckon I might be eating at least 1kg of it myself, throughout the evening..... and then probably slipping into a diabetic coma towards then end of the night....





No comments:

Post a Comment